Wednesday, 19 May 2010

Embroidery - Supporting Study

I've recently done another Supporting Study, I chose to do it in Embroidery. Our Brief was to design 6 samples for either a bag or garment using skills we would learn throughout the Supporting Study. The brief was created by Ruth Cox of Oasis. Oasis is a large charity company based in India. They take women and single mothers off the streets and teach them embroidery and print skills so they can earn qualifications and proceed to get jobs. Ruth Cox explained that the designs we came up with would all be assessed and then considered to be taken to Oasis, made there and then sent back to England to be sold. I chose to design for the bag. Although floral isn't my 'thing' I found these delicious vintage fabrics in town for quite cheap and decided my plan was to use a simple shape to repeat and create patterns. I took our 3 week limit into consideration and wanted to keep it nice and simple.

I designed my 6 samples, they're very twee and girly which isn't my normal style but I'm still pleased how they turned out given the fact it was such a short project. They were all different but I made sure they all stuck to a theme and looked like a collection. My samples were one of the collections chosen and taken to India to be considered for Oasis.

This is the only picture I have of the samples, sorry it's not very clear.

Saturday, 1 May 2010

Pulled It Out The Bag

Not so long ago I did a supporting study in Uni, which is basically where I get to experience another area of textiles for three weeks, and it can quite literally be doing anything you wish. I choose Photoshop because I always find it useful in my work but there's still loads that I want to learn from it. Our brief was to create a series of designs that could then be used for interior. The theme was Visual Noise. So I spent the first week just drawing little doodles of things that popped in my head so I could scan them into photoshop. I'm going to be honest here they were'nt my strongest drawings, but the skills I learnt in the workshop made them look pretty good. I spent time just putting things together and seeing what I came out with. I got my marks back for it this week and turns out I got 68 which is only two marks off getting a 1st! I was so shocked because I hadn't been able to spend as much time on it as I would have liked to as I had another project running at the same time (and well I'm not that great at juggling projects, something to work on I guess). Time for a little celebration..

Love For Blonde Redhead